Mijas is situated 400 meter above sea level and has 5 citycores: Mijas Pueblo, Las Lagunas in Mijas Costa and the coastal cities La Cala, Riviera and Calahonda. Mijas is precious by itself, but also in the village you will find many things to see and visit. There are many churches and amazing buildings. This beautiful “white village” is situated just like in a movie, at the slope of the mountain. There are many pleasant and cosy restaurants, bars and cafés.
The average temperature in Mijas throughout the year is around 18º. In summertime the average temperature is 32º, but it doesn’t seem to feel that warm due to the pleasant cool breeze from sea. In winter you will not experience extreme cold temperatures.
Most of the rain will fall in the months of november and december. In one year the average rainfall is around 600 mm.
Mijas has a very large coastline and beach of 12 km!
POINTS OF INTEREST
- Ermita de la Virgen de la Peña in the village of Mijas is a hermitage hewn out of the rocks in the honor of the Saint (Patron) of the village
- Donkeytaxis, an old tradition that still exists.
- In the etnographic museum of the village you can get the idea of how people used to live in ancient times. Open all days from 10:00 -14:00 and 16:00 – 19: 00 (winter) or 17:00 – 20:00 (summer). Free entrance.
- Plaza de Toros. The only square bullfight arena in Spain.
- Torreón de la Cala – the observation tower in Cala de Mijas. It hosts an information center about the history of the observation towers located across the coastline. In winter only open in the weekends and bank holidays. In summer: opening hours from Tuesday – Sunday from 10:00 – 13:00 and from 20:00 – 23:00.
Distances/time (by car)
|Torremolinos||22 km||25 min|
|Ronda||93 km||1 hour|
|Gibraltar||115 km||1 hour||15 min|
|Granada||156 km||2 hour|
|Cordoba||187 km||2 hour|
|Almeria||237 km||3 hour|
|Alicante||502 km||5 hour||15 min|
|Madrid||559 km||5 hour||30 min|
|Málaga||34 km||25 min|